May 23, 2013

SUPER STAR TREK BLOG PT 1






G'day my fellow P'Taq's..tis I RECK-U-TUS

NOW...I'll be honest and say that I can only vaguely remember the original Star Trek being on tele back in the early days,, as a matter of fact, the only episode I can recall, prior to buying box sets, is the show where Spock had a go around with the Horta...so there you go....however having watched episodes bought only recently...the storylines did spark something in my synapsis, that could be from novels though maybe.......


I really got hooked up when the new Enterprise came onto the small screen with Patrick Stewart as Captain Picard...and thus it has increased in its grip on me to the point where I got Enterprise models and figures and box sets and all assundry collectables ( not as much as some... hey Brocky)..and to be fair,  I'm not so hard core that what pisses off some of the people on Trek forum's erks me too...Ive seen people lose their goddamn mind cause the Trek uniform color was a half a fkn shade off between episodes of a series..that just getting weird for my liking....ANYWAY...to my thoughts and feeling on any and all trek series , movies and characters there in...



THE ORIGINAL SERIES:





The original series..the grandaddy of the whole shooting match, I must admit to only really having got into the original series in the last couple of years..Ive read a ton of books that had TOS as their basis for the story..so I sorta liked it, HOWEVER...



some of the stuff on the shows just, whats the word I'm looking for here????....ummm, DATES, the show, and usually this doesnt bother me, hell, I got the Superman and Batman serials from the 40's on dvd..




but, for some reason, when I see the Enterprise with Kirk and Spock, all I see are mini skirts and chicks walking around the bridge with trays of hot beverages (probably raktogeno) and the acting is just bit too ...sudden, lots of grand movements and plaintive wails of dismay...


dont get me wrong , some great storylines that have endured through the decades in both print and film...but they look a bit suss and besides the Enterprise bridge seems a bit frail at times lotsa wobbling going on with the furniture..HAHAHA....but, I do enjoy the original series, dont get me wrong, but I do wonder what was going through an actors mind when he got a gig on the show and saw that he was part of the beaming down party with little or no lines and a red shirt...imagine it, "HI mum, I'm on Star trek this week....for 84 seconds, dont blink"....



and I must ask, was Leonard Nimoy playing the half Vulcan thing up a bit ...for a race with emotional control, and as near as I can tell, he did the same training every other Vulcan did...Spock seemed to bark out lines with a bit more emotion than I thought probable,given his up bringing and what have you...or maybe I'm just over studying the premise...and lets talk crew of said starship

CAPTAIN KIRK: for a smidge, seriously, was that any way for a decorated officer to behave...it seems that all he did was fight and shag his way across the alpha quadrant ( was it called the Alpha quadrant back then?)...I understand he was the main character of sorts, but geez he got himself into more shit than a clear thinking, high ranking officer should have by rights...oh yeah, and the Dept of Temporal Investigations consider the man a menace




BONES MCCOY: right there is a grumpy bastard if there ever was one.. you would think they got that crap stored away by the 24th century..fair dinkum, if he talked to me like he talked to Spock or the Captain, friend or no friend, he would of got one hung on his schnozz for certain, probably most famous for his line, "his dead Jim" OR his ever so suttle rascism to Spock (green blooded goblin and what have you)...and I must say as far as Starfleet medical staff go, Bones is right up there .....AND..he lived to be 148 or something, imagine how grumpy he was by then..GEEZ....



LTN UHURA:  was pretty good, cant say I have any issues with her, I probably could of done without her breaking into song on the odd occasion, like in the episode Charlie X...



I was cheering for the kid muting her after she done a 1960's version of rap while Spock was playing that Vulcan banjo thingy he was a plucking on in the rec room...and I must admit that Nichelle Nichols is one real brave lady, doing that inter - racial kiss with Kirk took some cojones back then, hell, people still had separate seats on the bus in some parts of the states during this trek ERA..I can just see fkn Klan members tearing up their StarFleet fan club cards after that one..good riddance to 'em by the way...



SCOTTY: ...tell me true, is he a grand relative of Miles O'Brien?...started out working the transporter then suddenly became chief engineer of something...same as Miles...anyway, Scotty was the MacGyver of the 24th Century, he could get that ship running on string and chewing gum..man was a goddamn genius, as are all Starfleet Chief Engineers..... I guess,mucking around with anti-matter cant be a safe long term career choice, CAN IT?.....also, he popped up on Picards Enterprise after he put himself in a diagnostic loop in a transporter and waited for 75 years before an equally brilliant engineer could get him out...nice one.



CHECKOV AND SULU: probably the only thing that would of been a bigger shock to moral America, than Uhura kissing Kirk, would have been Sulu coming out by pecking Checkov on the cheek..THAT WOULD OF GOT BILLY GRAHAM ( not the pro wrestler) FREAKED OUT PROPER.




SPOCK: Everyone's favourite Vulcan...well, after T'Pol that is....I've always thought Spock was holding back a tad, must be that half human in him...looked decidely different from the pilot as compared to the series 




Absolute Favourite Episodes : Before I get listing my fave eps..I have a enquiry...on the box set of Season 1...did they play eps out of order, I ask this because it occurs to me that "WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE" should of come out of the torpedo tube first instead of MAN TRAP...so, In no particular order...and given the fact Ive only got one box set...this is they thus far....

THE MENAGERIE parts 1&2...Spocks got a nasty limp and Capt Pike appears to be in a quandry
THE CORBOMITE MANOUVER...not as famous as the Picard Manouver



BALANCE OF TERROR...the first look at Romulans..their ship looked a bit dodgy, lots of guys crowded around one panel
THE SQUIRE OF GOTHOS...Q's grandad
TOMORROWS YESTERDAY....Kirks f**king with the time line again



speaking of The Original Series...lets have a round of appaluse for an actor that lasted a loooong time on Star trek ...MAJEL BARRETT...yep, the good lady wife of the Great Bird of the Galaxy appeared on multiple series of Trek in the flesh and was the computer voice for TNG, DS9 and Voyager..lots of folk have said that she was there only because of Gene...maybe so, given budgets and what have you..BUT...can you name any other actor else who could make Odo and Picard squirm and Dianna wince everytime she got a message saying mum was on the way..I cant.





THE NEXT GENERATION:



SO...inbetween the original series and the next gen begining I accumulated some Trek stuff including the movies starring Kirk and the gang...THEN..I heard that a updated version of Star trek was on the cook
and that it was going to be based some 70 odd years after Kirk.




WOOHOO I said to myself...WOOHOO..I could hardly wait and then miracle of miracles Ch 9 sye=dney said they would play the show, I thought to myself "fair enough you bastards , after cancelling the wrestling, you mongrels at Ch 9 owe me BIG TIME...and thus I waited and the pilot episode "Farpoint" was aired..to suggest I was pleased with the attempt is an understatement, the show was the grouse, I cant remember precisely how long Ch 9 showed the series , knowing them, can't of been more than two seasons...however long it was, it got me hooked enough to start me collecting trek stuff ...got ships and shirts and figure and books...STACKS OF BLOODY BOOKS....I must say that it also got me into buying box sets of shows, initially it was vhs tapes but now I got all the series on dvd ...back to free to air tv for a parsec...i've  been real happy of late cause Ch 11 have been playing all the series from picard onwards...awesome, I know I got the dvds ...but sometimes you just want to wait for commercial breaks to end to see whats going on.

NOW...the Crew of NCC - 1701 and all its assundry versions thereof.




CAPTAIN JEAN LUC PICARD: talk about a different approach from Kirk ( or is it?) a truly excellnet captain and an all round sterling chap and a Borg survivor...mind you, if I went through that many starships, I'd probably get writ up by an admiral or 3.




RIKER, WILLIAM T: A prime example of someone with no career advancement gene, I really never thought he was gonna get a big chair of his own, thankfully the USS Titan needed a recently married # 1 for the top job...Riker, it could be argued is the Kirk for the new millenium, Starfleets ultimate chick magnet, well...someone had to keep all the groupies from Picard didnt they?



DATA..Ltn Commander thereof:...its been suggested that while trying to find a Spock like character for the new series they were having trouble until a writers son said "make an android daddy" and thus we now have Data amongst us in the trek universe, I often wondered why Starfleet didnt just make a ship full of Datas for the Deep Space missions ...mind you someone had already tried to mass produce everyones favourite android  and only got 1 in 3 right....I knew him getting a emotion chip would be a poxy idea, but it sorta worked...cant say I was impressed with killing Data off at the end of Nemesis, although some would say B4 is actually Data...dunno, and we will probably never find out.



GEORDIE: Yet another in the long line of stellar Starfleet engineers BUT why did he wait till the run in with the borg in First Contact to get a set of working eyes installed ?...I could never get my head around Geordie staying blind when everything that medical science could cure, they had done and I'm guessing blindness from birth was one of those things...anyway, a top operator along the lines of Scotty himself.




WORF: Imagine my surprise when I saw a Klingon serving on the Enterprise..I thought to myself, the war must be over, but then I found out he had been raised on Earth and went to the academy, I mean Klingons are rampaging savages for the most part, and Worf has those parts trust me, BUT he done good and more than held his own, even after all that family disgrace bollocks and went onto be Strategic Commander and chief of the USS Defiant on DS9  .




DEANNA TROI: What bright spark thought that a starship needed a counsellor ?...I would of thought that by the 24th century, we will have got rid of all the crap that a counsellor cures...BUT...TNG had one so we had to put up with her, and to be fair, she grew on me  unlike her mother who tried to grow on everybody ALL AT ONCE...I reckon Deanna would of needed a counsellor growing up.




TASHA YAR: The Enterprises first security chief...she lasted slightly longer than one of Kirks red shirts...also she had a twin sister on Romulus..and she bonked Data, apparently.




THE KRUSHERS: Doctor Beverly and Sheldon Coopers best friend Wesley ...Beverly was a nice change from Bones, who had grumpy down pat...and she had the tingles for Capt Picard, Wes on the hand had a hard time on board until he proved himself to Picard and ended up acting bridge Ensign and part time temporal traveller ..




REG BARCLAY: poor bludger ended up a super genius and addicted to holo suites..explains why Deanna was on board ...went back to Star Fleet HQ and done a top job making contact with Voyager after it got lost.



GUINNAN:  never thought I'd see Whoopi do serious...glad I did





DR PULASKI: hmmm...Dr Pulaski, arrogant , small minded numbnut ....glad she only lasted one year...shoulda killed her off .!




ABSOLUTE FAVORITE EPISODES:





YESTERDAYS ENTERPRISE: A hiccup in the timeline has the Enterprise B popping in for a visit, much to Tasha Yars dismay

WHO WATCHES THE WATCHERS: Picard confuse's a race of proto vulcans and then undoes said confusion




ALL GOOD THINGS: a tale of senility and warp drive 

DATALORE: Datas history gets spotlighted

Q WHO: SO its his fault we have the borg to annoy us




and anything to do with the Sons of Soong




SO ...there you go...part one ....many to come
























1 comment:

  1. Wow! You seems to be absolutely a loyal fan of Super Star Trek. So, do you want to become a man as the most powerful and charming leading role right now? You can be the most powerful and charming leading role as a cosplayer.Here are some good advice from the address- Skycostume.Thank you for coming!

    ReplyDelete